Internet access is available to students and staff of USD #321. We are pleased to offer connection to the internet because it represents vast, diverse, and unique resources which can promote research, communication, and educational excellence.
While internet access provides rich resources from all over the world, it also provides material which is not of educational value, material which must not be available to students. USD #321 has taken precautions to restrict and deny access to inappropriate and offensive material. While we cannot control the internet or the material on the internet, we make every effort to deny access to offensive sites, and we require ethical, legal, and responsible behavior from students and staff.
The internet is coordinated through a complex association of government agencies, and regional and state networks. The operation of the network relies upon the proper conduct of the end users who must adhere to strict guidelines. These guidelines are provided here so that you are aware of the responsibilities. In general this requires efficient, ethical, and legal utilization of the network resources. If a student or staff member of USD#321 violates any of these provision, their access
will be denied. Your signature at the end of this document is legally binding and indicates that you have read the terms and conditions carefully and understand their significance.
INTERNET - TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE
1) Acceptable use: Use of technology equipment and the resources available must be in support of education and research and consistent with the educational objectives of Kaw Valley Unified School District #321. Use of other organization's network and computing resources must comply with the rules appropriate for that network. Transmission of any material in violation of any US or state regulation is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to: copyrighted material, threatening or obscene material, or material protected by trade secret. Use for commercial activities or political lobbying is generally not acceptable.
2) Privileges - The use of the district computers and access to the Internet are privileges, not rights, and inappropriate use will result in withdrawal of the privilege of access. Each student given access will participate in a discussion with a faculty member of USD #321 pertaining to the proper use of the network. Building administrators will determine what is inappropriate use and assign discipline for inappropriate use; their decisions are final.
3) Network Etiquette - You are expected to abide by the generally accepted rules. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
a) Be polite. Do not use abusive language in your messages to others. b) Use appropriate language. Do not swear, use vulgarities or any other inappropriate language. c) Illegal activities are forbidden. d) Do not reveal your personal address or phone number, and do not reveal the addresses or phone numbers of students or colleagues. e) E-mail is not guaranteed to be private. Those operating the system have access to all mail. Messages relating to or in support of illegal activities may be reported to the authorities. f) Do not use any equipment or the network to disrupt use of other users. g) All communications and information accessible on the network should be assumed to be private property. h) Vandalism - Vandalism is any attempt to harm or destroy data of another user, the Internet, or any of the listed agencies or other networks connected to the Internet. This includes, but is not limited to, the uploading or creation of computer viruses. Vandalism will result in denial of access to equipment and the internet as well as further disciplinary action.
5) Security - Security is a high priority with a system involving many users. If you identify a security problem, notify the building principal. Do not demonstrate the problem to other users. Do not use another person's name or IP address. Attempts to logon to the network as another user will result in cancellation of your privileges. A user identified as a security risk or with a history of problems with other computer systems may be denied access.
6) Kaw Valley USD #321 makes no warranties of any kind, expressed or implied, for the service it is providing. USD #321 will not be responsible for any damages you suffer including loss of data from delays, non-deliveries, mis-deliveries, or service interruptions caused by it's own negligence or your errors or omissions. Use of any information obtained via the Internet is at your own risk. USD #321 specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through its services.
KAW VALLEY USD #321 INTERNET USE AGREEMENT
USER - I understand and will abide by the above Internet Use Agreement. I further understand that any violation of the regulations above is unethical and may constitute a criminal offense. Should I commit any violation, my access privileges may be revoked, school disciplinary action may be taken, and/or the school may notify appropriate law enforcement.
User's Printed Name ________________________________________________________
User Signature____________________________________ Date____________________
PARENT OR GUARDIAN - As the parent or guardian of this student, I have read the Internet Use Agreement. I understand that this access is designed for educational purposes. USD #321 has taken precautions to deny access to controversial and obscene material. However, I recognize it is impossible for USD #321 to restrict access to all controversial materials, and I will not hold them responsible for materials acquired on the network. I accept full responsibility for supervision if and when my child's use in not in a school setting. I hereby give permission for my student to have access to the Internet and certify that the information on this form is correct.
Parent or Guardian's Printed Name _______________________________________________
Parent or Guardian's Signature _____________________________________ Date________________
TEACHER - (To be completed before a student is allowed access) - I have read the Internet Use Agreement and agree to explain, follow, and promote this agreement with all students given access to USD #321 technology equipment and the Internet. I agree to instruct students on acceptable use of technology resources, the Internet, and proper network etiquette.
Teacher's Printed Name ________________________________________________________
Teacher's Signature ____________________________________